What is Alcohol?

What we mean by alcohol here is alcoholic drinks, such as beer, wine and spirits. The scientific name for the alcohol in these drinks is ethanol or ethyl alcohol. Other chemical forms of alcohol, such as methanol and butanol, are much more toxic than ethanol and should not be consumed by humans.

Alcohol is a depressant, which means it slows down your body’s responses in all kinds of ways. Just enough can make you feel sociable; too much and you’ll have a hangover the next day, and may not even remember what you got up to; and way too much alcohol in a single session could put you in a coma or even kill you.

Although it’s legal for people aged 18 and over to buy and drink alcohol, that doesn’t mean it’s safe.

What are the effects of alcohol?

Alcohol is a depressant and generally slows down brain activity:

• A small amount can reduce feelings of anxiety and reduce inhibitions, which can help you feel more sociable.
• It can exaggerate whatever mood you’re in when you start drinking.
• The short-term effects of alcohol can last for a day or two, depending on how much you drank, including any hangover.
• Long-term effects include damage to the brain, body and its organs. This can take years to develop and can lead to a wide range of serious health problems, like cancers, that you may not realise are due to alcohol.

Remember that the more you have of a drink, and the stronger the drink, the more units you are drinking.

What is a unit of alcohol?

A unit is a way of expressing the actual amount of pure alcohol that is in a drink. This allows you to compare how strong one type of alcoholic drink is to another type. For example:

• half a pint of lower-strength beer, lager or cider (ABV 3.6%), or a 25ml measure of spirits (ABV 40%) is 1 unit,
• one pint of stronger beer (ABV 5%) can be almost 3 units, and
• one large glass (250mls) of mid-strength wine (ABV 12-13%) can be over three units.

Check the label on drinks as they often show the number of alcohol units. If they don’t, you can calculate the units by multiplying its ABV (ABV is ‘alcohol by volume’ and shows you the strength of an alcoholic drink), by the volume of the drink (in mls) and then dividing by 1,000:

The information above has been taken from ‘Talk to FRANK’ for more information go to the FRANK website.
Talk to Frank – Alcohol

Services available in North Lincolnshire?

DELTA young people’s Drug and Alcohol Service provides information, advice and support to young people who are using alcohol. The service can help young people to cut down or stop their use. DELTA offers support to Parents and carers who are concerned about alcohol. This includes information on alcohol and changes in behaviour, and relevant signs and symptoms.

Practical information on what you can do to continue to support the young person. You can if you wish refer the child/young person into DELTA provided they consent. If not we can continue to provide support for yourselves.

Telephone: 01724 298528
Address: 22-24 Cole Street
DN15 6QS